Thursday 21 March 2013

Kat Von D

Kat Von D. Katherine Von Drechenberg. Star of LA Ink and world renowned tattoo artist is by far my biggest inspiration when it comes to the art of tattoology.

I just finished her very first book High Voltage (yes I read them out of order) and holy smokes, was it amazing. Rather than being focused in the drama involved with the "Ink" shows like LA Ink and Miami Ink, it is focused on her life growing up and diverging herself within the tattoo world. It has detailed descriptions and directions as to how she did some of the most amazing tattoos I have ever seen in my life, and while I haven't been completely involved with the tattoo industry I have seen a few thousand in my life (not all in person), some of the ones that I've had the privilege of seeing and hearing the stories behind which I thought were absolutely incredible at the time are next to nothing compared to some of the ones she has done.

I really admire her passion for tattooing. Tattooing is her life, followed by art music and love. And I think that's an incredible and very honest way to live.
She's not perfect but who of us are?
She's had her fair share of drama, love, dreams in her life but she doesn't regret a thing. Hell she doesn't even cover up tattoos of past lovers names. Living life with no regrets. Something I try very hard to do. And don't always do successfully.

I'm looking forward to her new book "Go Big Or Go Home" her life motto.
I think it will be yet another inspirational read.

The only problem with reading these books is that I get the feeling that I don't belong in the tattoo world.
Don't get me wrong my life will be what I chose it to be.
But hearing the stories of KVD growing up and how she immersed herself into the tattoo world is so different to how I'm doing it.

Basically: she was always arty when she was younger. Tried tattooing once when she was 14 and fell in love with a guy who she ran half way across the USA with without telling her parents. She started off small and broke up with that guy and was left alone. Then married her next love as she started to move through getting bigger in the tattoo world. Then divorcing him as she became a star through Miami ink when she became depressed and an alcoholic.

I mean it just goes on and on.

Where as (wont go into it so fully) but pretty much just started drawing a few years ago, took it as a real passion about 3 years ago and have been drawing since, and decided 2 years ago that I wanted to be a tattoo artist based on my love for art and the style which I've drawn. I'm going into a course to learn and become qualified in the art, and I haven't even picked up a tattoo gun yet.

So different. And seeing some of her drawings / works makes me question if I'm skilled enough. I know it will all come with practise, and experience but I am kind of doubting myself and my skill.

Doing my best to ignore it and push on and try my hardest.



No comments:

Post a Comment