Thursday 14 February 2013

Skulls. Skulls and oh wait. Graphite pencil!

So Monday and Tuesday night this week I have been drawing hectically and experimenting with graphite pencil again which is something I hadn't done for quite a long time.

I started with a simple picture of a skull on Monday and did 2 line sketches of the skull. Getting the main details down. I set one aside and started my work on the sharpie version considering I believe I can draw better with sharpies. I gave it a classical tattoo design feel. By thickening the edges and using a fine tip sharpie for the small amount of shading I did, it brought out the edges and gave it the classical feel I was looking for.

I sent out a few text messages of that skull to Mr Jordane and continued doing something which I don't seem to do often enough and that is script. Using a bunch of scripts from a website as reference. i adjusted and readjusted the script until I came up with the perfect style. And also sent that through to Jordane.

He sent back an idea which I did not expect at all. He said maybe if I added more shading to the skull and wrapped the text around it. Giving it the theme of the text "we are of dust and shadows" (is a quote from Cassandra Claire's The Mortal Instrument series.) I decided to give it a shot. And I am ridiculously proud of the concept design that I came up with from it.

I started the second skull on Tuesday night and I used a graphite pencil for the first time in 4 months. I totally forgot about all the amazing effects you can get using graphite.
I gave the edges a slightly thicker and darker look and used a sharper more defined pointed pencil to highlight details and bring forth details within the skull. I also marked the anchor points for the dents and curves of the skull and used pencil rubbings to get the dusty/shadowy look i was after. Shading has never looked better in my opinion.

I then redid the script in banners on a separate sheet of paper and got the idea to have one banner wrapping around the top of the skull and have the other below and fading behind the jaw.
I then used blue tac to place the banners where I wanted on the original drawing of the skull and it is pinned on my wall next to a sheet of paper outlining what needs to be done to improve the concept.

I've really wanted to get that quote as a tattoo since I read it. It's such a true quote and it makes you think about life and death.

All I need to do now is get my hands on some tracing paper and a proper light box to complete the tattoo design.

Please note all the photos of the progress of these will be uploaded at the end if the post. Enjoy looking at my works and If there are any suggestions pop them in the comments below.

-Red

PS. Sorry for not posting this earlier. It seems to have not worked when I originally posted it.









No comments:

Post a Comment